Thursday, March 12, 2009

Birthing a Bill

I am now convinced that moving a bill through Congress is much like birthing a baby. Time-consuming, anxiety-producing, and quite often, painful.

Yesterday I watched as a colleague shepherded proposed legislation through what is called the committee mark-up process. She had spent days and late evenings on the phone with everyone – from Whigs to the White House (well, maybe not Whigs) - making deals, striking sentences, adding pet projects. As she returned from the committee chamber, victorious in moving her “baby” out of committee, I asked if the worst was over. She replied, “Oh, no. It’s just begun!”

That’s when it struck me. This was legislation by artificial insemination!

You see, my co-worker’s bill hadn’t taken the easy or more natural route. Bills which do that are “passed on suspension”. Suspension bills have no obstacles – no real debate – sometimes the conception even happens without fanfare. (Ladies may find it easier to follow my analogy.) Like a recent “Recognize National School Breakfast Week” bill – there’s not a lot to discuss. And, just like a Mom with octoplets, we often pass several suspension bills out of committee each week. Piece of cake.

What my colleague had just experienced, however, required intense consultation and a delicate combination of support. When the bill (on national service) received nearly unanimous committee approval – she finally had assurance. Her legislation was on its way. But she still had months to go before delivery.

This week I was privileged to coordinate a hearing in our committee. This process often comes before legislation is ever conceived, much less discussed. It’s as if Congress is contemplating, “Should we really make a baby out of this?” I have been researching my topic (education in alternative settings) for weeks, and invited witnesses from across the country to travel to Washington to share their views. Maybe the Congressional members heard today’s testimony and thought, “It’s time to start a family of legislation on this topic.” Or maybe not. It may be months before we know.

When a bill moves out of our committee, that’s when we get a sense for how difficult the labor (pun intended) might be. Will the Senate or the Republicans be amenable to collaboration (a.k.a. numbing the pain) or are they gearing up for an all nighter. If you’re a parent yourself, you know most times the details of delivery are outside of your control. (No scheduled C-Sections on the House floor.)

While the process of “bill birth” on C-SPAN may not be the same exhilarating viewing as baby’s first bath, it is exciting for my fellow political geeks. Especially those who’ve had a hand in the process.

I apologize if my analogy is a bit simplistic. At times my DC experience seems so surreal that it’s helpful to reflect on what I consider the core of my work. Being a mom and possessing a vision for how I’d like the world to look for my own children helps me to write every word, engage each conversation, deflect any obstacle.

So, while I haven’t yet had the opportunity to completely conceive of and nurture a bill, I have had the blessing of raising three children. And although I wouldn’t call it easy, it is absolutely rewarding.

Lisa Pugh is the 2009 Kennedy Foundation Public Policy Fellow. She will work on disability public policy for the House Committee on Education and Labor during the 111th Congress and is being sponsored by The Arc Wisconsin. She will live for one year with her family in Washington and return to her home in Madison, Wisconsin to share what she’s learned in January 2010.

1 comment:

wagthedog said...

Thanks for the post.

My first witness of the miracle of birth was with your father. I had wondered why Bernie had asked me to clean the calf pen during our morning milking routine. It was unusual to do that before breakfast. Clean up was always after the milking, breakfast routines. His other request, to not let the calves back in the pen, seemed strange to me but he explained. A cow was likely to give birth some time today and he asked if I wanted to watch the event.

After breakfast and after clean up and sometime before lunch this 12 year old "city boy" had witnessed his first miracle of birth. Bernie cared for his "herd" with respect and compassion. Much better than I've seen many people treat each other.

That afternoon both your brother Kurt and I fed that calf some sort of supplement with a bottle. Kurt (not even 3 years old then) and I marveled at the beauty of this new life brought to the farm.

Now you are cleaning the "pens" of our democracy. Just as your associate was not done when the bill left committee, there was and is the nurturing of that "bill" that needed to be done.

And if we think that once the legislation is passed that we are done then we truly don't understand the message of birth and life. Nature and nurture are common words for more than just their spelling.

Love you Lisa. Keep cleaning the "Pens' and providing the "supplements" needed to bring dignity and opportunity to all our special people.

-saw-